The Mother Lode of Funny Fiction: Crowd-Sourced Book Recs That Will Tickle Your Funny Bone
It is National Humor Month - and that's no joke!
Maybe you've been gearing up for it and didn't even realize it.
✔️Maybe our books inside the Monthly Book Club have increased the endorphins in your brain via the clever quips, satirical observations, and Pooterish practices the past few months.
✔️Maybe you've enjoyed subtle humor in your contemporary books - cutesy humor that brought a smile to your face.
✔️Or maybe you're like, Point me to the hilarity. I could use a laugh.
Second, you're in for a treat because this week is all about funny fiction (or books that read like that) - a hilarious collection of some laugh-out-loud books to read in April paired with reviews from real people. Pretty Literate people like you!
No stuffy academic reviews here. We're keepin' it casual like we're hanging with our homies talking about the funniest books we've read.
So get ready to find your next belly-laughing book, my friend, because you've hit The Mother Lode of Funny Fiction: Crowd-Sourced Book Recs That Will Tickle Your Funny Bone.
A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
- Berney on Amazon - "The adventures of a verbose and lazy man-child forced to get off his duff and get a job."
- E. Kelly on Amazon - "The absurdity of it all is fantastically funny."
All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
- Mary on Amazon - "Prescription for pleasure."
- Caroline on Goodreads - "One of the funniest books I've read in my life..."
- Kathryn on Goodreads - "Charming. Funny. Entertaining."
Apocalypse Cow by Michael Logan
- lunameow on Amazon - "Brilliant combination of horror and humor."
- Janet on Amazon - "British humour, zombie style."
- Nats on Goodreads - "Hilarious, a bit gross and a bit cheeky."
A Short History of a Small Place by T. R. Pearson
- Kindle Customer on Amazon - "I can't remember when I laughed out loud more!"
- LaShawna on Goodreads - "Lyrical, smart, and crazy hilarious."
- R.L. on Goodreads - "You'll be rewarded by laugh-out-loud funny and a reminder of the bittersweet and existential side of life."
A Very Punchable Face: A Memoir by Colin Jost
- ehoward29 on Amazon - "Great stories and funny the whole way through."
- Laura Kay on Amazon - "Vulnerable, inspiring and laugh out loud funny!"
- Nilufer on Goodreads - "So hilarious, ultra smart, laugh out loud guaranteed memoir!"
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
- Nobody on Amazon - "...a rapier like wit that appeals to British sensibilities."
- Anne on Goodreads - "...I giggled my way through..."
- W on Goodreads - "Travel writing does not get any better or any funnier than this."
A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke
- Madden on Amazon - "Hilarious, quick, and entertaining read."
- David on Amazon - "Funny funny funny"
- Joe on Goodreads - "This book is one of the best friends I have met recently."
Bad Monkey by Carl Hiaasen
- lisaleo on Amazon - "wacky Florida shenanigans"
- Virginia on Amazon - "Get ready to laugh out loud - a lot!"
- Sam on Amazon - "Bad Monkey is a run romp!"
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
- Casey on Amazon - "Sarcasm all wrapped up in a pretty pink glitter bow."
- Emily on Amazon - "Laugh out loud genius"
- Khanh on Goodreads - "This book is the definition of satire and black humor."
Big Trouble by Dave Barry
- Nikki on Amazon - "Dry and slapstick humor all bundled together"
- Michael on Goodreads - "A fast, humorous read"
- Erin on Goodreads - "eighteen majillion stars"
Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster
- Michele on Amazon - "Buy it. You will find yourself laughing out loud."
- Edith on Amazon - "This woman is hilarious. I felt like she was sitting next to me while talking about her day."
- Jessica on Goodreads - "...despite all the ups and downs in life, it's possible to still have a sense of humor."
Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah
- Tricia on Amazon - "Was very disappointed when I got to the end of the book. I may have to read it again!"
- Saaniya on Goodreads - "The storytelling and narrative is strong and keeps you engaged."
- Emily on Goodreads - "My husband and I are currently laughing our way through..."
Bossypants by Tina Fey
- Yolanda on Amazon - "I had a great time reading it! I laughed really hard several times and when I shared passages with my husband and his cousin who was visiting, they both enjoyed it, too! I was greatly entertained!"
- Heather on Amazon - "It is, it is hilarious, sweet and honest."
- Gail on Goodreads - " I honestly cannot remember the last time I laughed this hard reading anything."
Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding
- Dalila on Amazon - "Funny and entertaining"
- Jessica on Goodreads - "I sat on my couch and wolfed this thing down in one sitting while laughing my a$$ off."
- Kiki on Goodreads - "This book was criminally hilarious."
Carsick: John Waters Hitchhikes Across America by John Waters
- Bingojesus on Amazon - "Very entertaining read from the King of camp sleaze."
- Diane on Goodreads - "What a fun book!"
- Tosh on Goodreads - "America's favorite slightly wacko uncle."
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
- April on Amazon - "Stella Gibbons was without a doubt an Austen fan."
- Matthew on Goodreads - "This may be one of the funniest books ever written..."
- Duane on Goodreads - "...a stinging satire and outrageously funny parody of the literature about rural English farm life..."
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
- Meredith on Amazon - "This is a fun book!"
- Emily on Goodreads - "This is some seriously trashy crack-lit. And no that's not a typo-- this book is as addictive and dramatic and ridiculous as you surely imagine it to be. I should probably hate it, but, well... oops."
- Jessica on Goodreads - "Nothing like a bunch of crazy, rich asians to make me feel like a boring, poor white girl."
Dave Cooks the Turkey by Stuart McLean
- Mehitabel on Amazon - "Delightful and oh so humorous!"
- Simon on Goodreads - "I was amused and delightedly entranced."
- Pritha on Goodreads - "I laughed so hard that I nearly fell off the bed."
Dear Bob and Sue by Matt and Karen Smith
- Bobby on Amazon - "A great book for National Park lovers."
- Mindy on Goodreads - "This is a super fun book. Hilarious..."
- Kathy on Goodreads - "My husband asked me not to read this book in bed because I could not stifle my laughter and my laughing disturbed him more than once."
Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal
- Sudakshina on Amazon - "There's more to this book than meets the eye!"
- Elyse on Goodreads - "Lots of fun, laughter & sexy steam..."
- Laura on Goodreads - "I loved, loved, LOVED this book and am now furiously recommending it to everyone as the best summer read..."
Finlay Donovan is Killing It: A Mystery by Elle Cosimano
- Kindle Customer on Amazon - "Laugh out loud funny!"
- Goddess of Gore on Amazon - "Fabulous, funny, and thrilling"
- Nilufer on Goodreads - "This is delicious, extremely funny, smart, laugh out loud beginning of brand new dark comedy/mystery series!"
Funny, You Don't Look Autistic by Michael McCreary
- LMV on Amazon - "Hilariously honest"
- MomKraft on Amazon - "Easy read! Delightful and Funny!"
- Mariah on Goodreads - "I suggest the book to everyone!"
Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson
- Annie on Amazon - "I'm not one who readily laughs out loud, but this had me giggling helplessly. Not once or twice, but a LOT."
- Karen on Goodreads - "jenny lawson, i wanna make you blts and braid your hair.
- Dani on Goodreads - "Freakin' hilarious!"
Happiness for Beginners by Katherine Center
- Joee on Amazon - "Wow! That was AMAZING! I laughed. I cried. I got mad. I swooned. I cried some more. This book moved me!"
- Susan's Reviews on Goodreads - "I laughed uproariously so many times while reading this book!"
- Jennifer on Goodreads - "Personal growth, happiness, healing, humor, and love, with a wilderness adventure thrown in."
Harris and Me: A Summer Remembered by Gary Paulsen
- Burt on Amazon - "Best book ever!"
- Henry on Goodreads - "I wish this could have a million, zillion, jillion to infinity stars because it's awesome!"
- Matthew on Goodreads - "This is quite possibly the funniest piece of writing that Gary Paulsen ever published."
Hoot by Carl Hiaasen
- Linda on Amazon - "Another enjoyable book...don't pass up because it's YA."
- Gorfo on Goodreads - "Behind it's lighthearted and often joking facade the book is a window into the rapid destruction of Florida wildlife in order to make room for civilization and pancake houses."
- Matthew on Goodreads - "...a cheesy, feel-good YA novel."
- Roseanne on Amazon - "I love her humor when it comes to woman aging."
- Mariela on Amazon - "I was laughing out loud like a maniac!"
- Laysee on Goodreads - "Each chapter in this collection of humorous essays served as a refreshing palate cleanser when I needed lighter fare."
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
- C. Russo on Amazon - "...the perfect touch of dry, wry humor."
- Thomas on Amazon - "The author has a fabulous sense of humor and combines it with a an ability to turn a phrase in such a way as to make the places and people he describes come alive."
- Collette on Goodreads - "I lost track of how many times I laughed until there were tears running down my cheeks and how many smiles and chuckles it rang out of me!"
I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
- Anonymous1 on Amazon - "A great, funny and swoonworthy read!"
- Zoë on Goodreads - "...a hilarious and engaging author."
- KAS on Goodreads - "FUN-tabulous in every way!"
Jeeves and Wooster by P. G. Wodehouse
- TSR on Amazon - "It's a riot and a scream!"
- Amazon Customer on Amazon - "There is a chuckle on every page and sometimes, a laugh to tears..."
- Matthew on Goodreads - "Lovely fun distraction."
Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson
- Matthew on Amazon - "Lawson starts off the book by throwing the reader into the deep end of her humor and really doesn’t let them resurface until after finishing the book."
- Patrick on Goodreads - "She got some actual laughs out of me. Not just amusement or smiles. Not just chuckles. Real laughs."
- Trudi on Goodreads - "I laughed so hard in parts I shed tears (and a little pee I think). Just sayin'. For anyone out there with some incontinence issues already."
Life and Laughing: My Story by Michael McIntyre
- Maurice on Amazon - "We are amused. He is spot on with observational humor about being a parent, travel, weather, traffic, the man drawer, jesting about his various countrymen's accents, going to the dentist, etc."
- Gemma on Goodreads - "His funny attitude and character really shines through even in the difficult parts of his life.:
- Charlene on Goodreads - "One of the funniest books I have ever read.
Lunatics by Dave Barry
- Christopher on Amazon - "This is a fast paced, hilarious, and full of surprises book."
- Luke on Amazon - "I can honestly tell anyone that is looking for a wild ride of calamity, misfortune and disaster all rolled up into some of the funniest written pages I have ever read, THIS is the book for you."
- Cyndi on Goodreads - "This is the hilarious story of two men on a comedic adventure like the Stooges or Laurel and Hardy. Just one after another madcap happening."
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
- Nancy on Amazon - "This is probably the funniest book I've read in my life. His humor is eccentric the Never Fails to make me laugh out loud."
- Justin on Goodreads - "The humor is so good it's mesmerizing."
- Ellabella on Goodreads - "I couldn't stop laughing. From page one, I was hooked and laughing in a loud, ugly, American way, while all of the Parisians with their polite, small smiles would roll their eyes at the stupid American girl on the metro, in the park, at the cafe, who was too loud for her own good."
Never Shoot a Stampede Queen: A Rookie Reporter in the Cariboo by Mark Leiren-Young
- Linda on Amazon - "It was hilarious! A great read and super entertaining."
- Scott on Goodreads - "I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and it did totally remind me of "Lou Grant", the TV show it references, albeit set in my small home-town."
- Mette on Goodreads - "...so insightful and funny."
Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson (*audiobook strongly recommended)
- Sally on Amazon - "Weirdest book ever but I couldn’t put it down."
- JanB on Goodreads - "I absolutely loved this quirky, funny, and sweet story."
- Robin on Goodreads - "This book was a freaking balm on my soul."
Objects of My Affection by Jill Smolinski
- Sara on Goodreads - "Marva- she seems like a really fun crazy person you'd like to get drunk and chat with."
- Autumn on Goodreads - "This book quickly became an object of my affection."
- Wendy on Goodreads - "Witty, sarcastic and reminiscent of people close to me!!"
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
- J. Gabrielson on Amazon - "Evanovich managed to bring humor to what is the gritty reality of life in working class New Jersey.:
- Claire on Goodreads - "This series is my ultimate guilty pleasure."
- Bella on Goodreads - "This has quickly become a favourite of mine, it was recommended to me by my mum who regularly rereads the series, and spends the entire time laughing loudly to herself."
Rosy is My Relative: A Novel by Gerald Durrell
- C.G. on Amazon - "I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a long time. It's laugh out loud funny at times, and generally tongue-in-cheek with delightful characters..."
- Joan on Goodreads - "This was laugh out loud hilarious! I've read it a number of times."
- Mpreeti on Goodreads - "If ever you are down in the dumps and want to get away from it all, just pick up this instant pep-me-up book."
Sammy's Hill by Kristin Gore
- Krisilou on Amazon - "DC has never been so funny"
- L.K.B.H. on Amazon - "a witty and wily read"
- Kristal on Goodreads - "Hysterically funny and very clever!"
Shakespeare for Squirrels: A Novel by Christopher Moore
- Scott on Amazon - "A fun frolic with faeries and fools"
- Ringnut on Amazon - "...hysterics from the get go..."
- Matthew on Goodreads - "Another humorous, raunchy, irreverent retelling and reimagining of Shakespeare."
Slummy Mummy by Fiona Neill
- East Coast Mom on Amazon - "...outstanding, heart-felt observations of motherhood and domestic life, combined with wonderfully wry humor and a good plot."
- Bookguide on Goodreads - "...light and amusing with a serious undercurrent..."
- Katy on Goodreads - "smart, witty and extremely funny"
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson
- Fred on Amazon - "Quirky, fun read!"
- Martin on Amazon - "This is a hoot and a half!"
- S. Hornsey on Amazon - "Brilliant! Humorous all the way through. Laugh out loud in places."
The Best Laid Plans by Terry Fallis
- NW Allison on Amazon - "Best hilarious Canadian antidote to current US politics"
- Sue on Goodreads - "I loved the characters; I loved the story; I loved the humour (I laughed out loud several times)."
- Lorina on Goodreads - "...a perfect novel, deserving of the Stephen Leacock Medal for Humour, and of every accolade it receives."
The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer
- Martin on Amazon - "Great fun - the literary equivalent of a Rom Com film."
- Vivian on Goodreads - "Dangerous Liaisons made light with absurdity."
- Seema on Goodreads - "...many hilarious moments in the book..."
The Country Club Murder Series by Julie Mulhern
- Big Daddy A on Amazon - "funny and easy to read"
- Ivonne on Goodreads - "Funny, astute, and rebellious."
- Jennifer on Goodreads - "Couldn't get enough of the biting sense of humor, the characters, the plot."
The Education of Hyman Kaplan by Leonard Q. Ross
- Wendy on Amazon - "...Hyman Kaplan is captivating. He is Cyrano de Bergerac in a suit and a bow tie."
- Donald on Amazon - "wonderfully humorous and warm"
- Kressel on Goodreads - "...this is an absolute hoot!"
The Extraordinary Journey of the Fakir Who Got Trapped in an IKEA Wardrobe by Romain Puertolas
- Wordman on Amazon - "Most entertaining. Quirky humor."
- Mrs.G on Amazon - "If you need lighthearted entertainment...THIS hysterical book is for YOU!"
- Nadira on Goodreads - "Thoroughly enjoyed it! It's ridiculously laugh-out-loud-type hilarious..."
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- Jon on Goodreads - "I quite literally worship the words Adams puts on the page, and have read the Hitchhiker's Trilogy so many times that I have large tracts of it memorized."
- Emily on Goodreads - "...kind of quirky sci-fi comedy..."
- Tucker on Goodreads - "What a weird little book."
The Innocents Abroad by Mark Twain
- Nails on Amazon - "History with humor"
- Patrick on Goodreads - "This novel is part stand-up comedy and part history lesson."
- Bryce on Goodreads - "A funny sacred cow roasting romp through Europe and The Middle East, taking on stereotypes, high society, and decorum with a shotgun blast to the face."
The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
- DJ on Amazon - "...a rambling, brilliantly-written essay on 1830s England, a place that seems both long ago and remarkably contemporary. I found myself laughing aloud at times..."
- S. Leach on Amazon - "Just a lot of fun"
- Baba on Goodreads - "...a steady stream of comedy, intrigue, dalliances, crime, debtors prisons and love."
Three Men in a Boat (to Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome
- L. N. Howe on Amazon - "Great read if you like dry British humor"
- Debra on Amazon - "If you have not yet experienced the delight of this book, you are doing yourself an injustice. I have read it several times and listened to it twice, and although I am familiar with the humorous narration, I still surprise myself by laughing out loud--it is that good."
- Peter on Goodreads - "Splendid humour."
Thursday Next Series by Jasper Fforde (The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book...)
- Virginia on Amazon - "Mystery with a heaping helping of inside jokes from great books, and dodos."
- Tim on Goodreads - "Rampant silliness...great fun."
- Beth on Goodreads - "Some have likened it to the adult Harry Potter."
Twisted Tales from Shakespeare by Richard Armour
- Burl on Amazon - "Roll over, Bill Shakespeare!"
- Matt on Goodreads - "This was great brain candy."
- ninjamuse on Goodreads - "Shakespeare’s greatest hits, told by an English major who’s only sort of paid attention and never leaves a pun unturned."
Weird Things Customers Say in Bookstores by Jennifer Campbell
- bookworm_girl on Amazon - "This book is a hoot and a holler."
- Carol on Goodreads - "So funny. So sad…Read it and sigh."
- Ariel on Goodreads - "It made me giggle and lol and just, the roflcopter flew while reading this."
Have you read any of the book recs listed above? Do you want to? Do you have laugh-out-loud book(s) you think we should check out next? Share your titles & authors in the comments below.
Could you use a laugh?
We all could! That's why this month Pretty Literate is offering one lucky winner a chance to win the Laugh-Out-Loud Book Box Giveaway. Did you enter above? No problem. Here's the link again to enter.
*This blog contains affiliate links that do not affect your browsing experience, but will let Amazon know that you clicked to their site because of this blog and will thank us with a microscopic "finders fee" should you decide to purchase.